Working Title: Nongame Bat Technician
(Recruitment ID: ATTP99-19926)
|CLOSING DATE: 05/25/2012||
FULL HIRING RANGE: $14.39 per hour
|DEPARTMENT: Wyoming Game and Fish Department, Wildlife|
|CLASS CODE: ATTP99|
GENERAL DESCRIPTION OF WORK: Responsible for conducting surveys of bats in cliff, canyon, cave, and rock outcrop habitats in western Wyoming to improve distributional data.
- Surveys will include, but are not limited to: capture surveys using mist nets and harp traps, and acoustic surveys using bat detectors.
- Roost surveys may also be conducted when appropriate.
- Perform other duties as assigned, such as data entry and equipment maintenance.
- Experience conducting mist-netting surveys for bats, using acoustic detectors, and identifying bat echolocation calls.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- Prior experience and familiarity with identifying, capturing, handling, and acoustic survey techniques for bats.
- Patience, enthusiasm, strong attention to detail and instruction, and the ability to work both independently and in close cooperation with others.
NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
- Work nights, irregular hours, and camp in remote areas for multiple days.
- Safely drive a 4-wheel drive vehicle and ATV.
- Routinely drive long hours, wade through water, and sit in the dark on cold nights.
- Hike in rugged, steep terrain while carrying cumbersome equipment (e.g., mist-nets, poles, acoustic detectors.
- Prior outdoor experience including camping, hiking, etc.
PREFERENCES: Preference will be given to those with a Bachelor’s degree or current enrollment in courses toward a degree in wildlife biology, zoology, or equivalent program. Current prophylactic rabies vaccination. Must have a valid drivers license. *Please view the Class Specifications (Class Code ATTP99) and the State required Minimum Qualifications for this vacancy at: http://statejobs.state.wy.us/lookup.aspx
NOTES: • DURATION OF EMPLOYMENT: July 1, 2012 – September 28, 2012 • Number of positions available: 1 • Preference will be given to those who submit a cover letter, resume, and 3 references to:
– Mr. Martin Grenier, 260 Buena Vista, Lander, WY 82520, in addition to submitting the state application.
For more information or to apply online go to http://statejobs.state.wy.us/JobSearchDetail.aspx?ID=19926
or submit a State of Wyoming Employment Application to:
-Human Resource Division, Emerson Building, 2001 Capitol Avenue, Cheyenne, WY 82002-0060, Phone: (307)777-7188, Fax: (307)777-6562, along with transcripts of any relevant course work.
Susan Patla Wyoming Game and Fish Department PO Box 67 Jackson, WY 83001 307-733-2383 ext. 229